Why does this document exist? Simply put, so you know what is expected of you when performing the role of an Office Manager.
Our vision is for Infinity Works to be recognised as an amazing place to work - where those yet to work here aspire to do so and those who do, and those who have left, recognise it as an amazing experience and a key part of their career.
There aren't many roles that have such a wide-reaching influence as the Office Manager. Very few people interact with almost every member of staff every day. Very few people make decisions that have such an impact on everybody's working day. Very few people get to meet and greet almost every visitor - both familiar and new.
The Office Manager is an incredibly important role for Infinity Works. Whilst running a functioning office is at its core, the Office Manager can be a champion for culture - creatively evolving the workplace facilities. The Office Manager can help win new business by giving visitors an incredible first impression of the company. Office management cuts across all areas of the business and has a unique vantage point from which it can help drive positive change for customers, colleagues and company.
This guide is intended to be a broad overview of the role, responsibilities and duties that may differ slightly depending on the office location.
Running the office
- Upkeep of the office environment, making sure everything is in good working order and spotting anything that needs attention.
- Support meetings and events, helping with arrangements, provision of facilities and supplying food & drinks.
- Ensuring the office is fully stocked with all perishables and day-to-day utilities from fruit, snacks and drinks through to stationary.
- Support the office's physical security through sign-in/out of guests, management of passes and helping to manage the office alarm.
- Help with bookings for travel when staff make individual trips and when large company events (e.g. annual conference) take place.
- Have a detailed plan for the office layout and help teams plan and execute moves to facilitate growth and new customer onboarding.
- Be (or take the training) a H&S/Fire Warden/First Aid representative and ensure all that entails (notifications/posters etc) are up to date and visible
- Take responsibility for maintaining the Facilities Handbook, making sure it is up to date and relevant as the office(s) grow.
- Effective communication - forthcoming events, maintenance, planned changes - to the workforce is key.
- Field queries and, if necessary, tactfully and diplomatically handle complaints.
- Operational and line management of Office Assistants.
- Introduce new starters and kick-off inductions including an office tour.
- Be a friendly face for staff and visitors alike. Leave people with an amazing first impression of Infinity Works.
- Be proactive in identifying ways we can improve the office and think creatively to come up with new and novel ways to get the best out of our space.
- Champion events and fundraisers for our sponsored charity.
- Represent the office at local board meetings, putting together a refined presentation of the key statistics and topics.
- Be the primary point of contact for the building landlord and their team, managing any day-to-day communications and escalating to the Operations Director where relevant.
- Own relationships with suppliers and contractors such as maintenance workers and cleaners.
- Demonstrate fiscal awareness and responsibility through day-to-day decision-making on purchases.
- Raise POs with the appropriate degree of information to contextualise spending and approve POs within agreed limits to the same degree of diligence.
- When more significant costs may be incurred, be thorough in researching options and provide a clear cost-benefit analysis for board approval.
- Manage an office capacity plan which is aligned to regional growth targets and considers points at which we will have to increase essentials (desks, chairs etc.), facilities (wipe boards, TVs etc.) and when we will run out of space altogether.
Legal & compliance
- Where appropriate, help write procedures and policies that are necessary to the well functioning of the office environment.
- Communicate and govern policies and procedures to ensure they are met.
- Support key regulatory policies such as ISO, health & safety and fire procedures.
You'll carry out your role in accordance with the requirements of ISO9001 and ISO27001 as reflected in the Company's policies and procedures and the ISO9001 and ISO27001 organisational structure charts.